William Todd Penberthy, Ph. D.
Ph. D., Biochemistry, University of Tennessee, Memphis, TN
B.S., Biology, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
Medical Writer, 2012 - current, Orlando, FL
Research Professor, 2009-2012, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
Research Professor, 2004-2009, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
Post-doctoral Fellow, 2000-2003, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
Post-doctoral Fellow, 1999-2000, Tufts University, Boston, MA
Diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular, multiple sclerosis, women’s health, arthritis
Autoimmune diseases, metabolism, nutrition, biomarkers
- 7+ years as a medical writer working in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry
- Needs assessments: diabetes, systemic lupus erythematosus, pediatric multiple sclerosis, schizophrenia, insomnia disorders, generalized tonic-clonic seizures, more ...
- CME course development, successful CME credit grant applications, Q&A with data accumulation, slide sets (PowerPoint, Keynote)
- Professional manuscript, abstract, grant writing experience including private and federal grants
- Textbook chapters: Present Knowledge in Nutrition, Niacin and Biotin,11th and 10th edition; 2020 & 2012; Biochemical, Physiological, and Molecular Aspects of Human Nutrition, Niacin, Riboflavin, and Thiamin, 3rd &4th edition; 2019 & 2012
- Conference coverage: AAP 2018; ADA 2018; WAC 2018 (AAAAI/WAO); ASM Microbe 2017; ENDO 2017; AAES 2017; HFS 2016; ITC 2015; World Congress on Breast Healthcare 2015; IBD 2020 (2014); ACP 2014; NAMCP 2014; SCAI 2013; CMSC-ACTRIMS 2013
- Physician clinical overviews: Raynaud’s phenomena, B-cell lymphoma, Carcinoid, Desmoid tumors, Hyperleukocytosis in malignancy, Malignant brain tumors in children, more
- Patient narratives, 100+
- Clinical evaluation reports: EU submissions document for medical devices
- Medical technology directory reports: Comprehensive reviews focused on cutting edge medical technologies for practice/budgetary/policy decisions. Subscription only.
• 16+ years writing in the biomedical scientific writingSCIENTIFIC
- Panel member: drug development for treating melanoma, ovarian cancer, and glioma
- Invited presentations at research hospitals (e.g, Mayo Clinic, Case Western Reserve University, Laval University CHUL Research Center, etc.) and at national/ international meetings
- Classroom lectures and directed graduate students involved in biomedical research; translating science to lay audiences and professional: S. aureus, HIV-1, novel anti-
- Primary author of scientific peer-reviewed manuscripts and textbook chapters for medical professionals
- Established & directed drug discovery collaborations with fortune 100 pharmaceutical company
- Collaborations with clinicians and researchers
- Directed core facility, graduate students, and technicians for the Zebrafish and Medaka Model Organisms Functional Genomics Laboratory with the University of Cincinnati Genome Research Institute
American Medical Writers Association (AMWA)
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
Global Alliance of Publication Professionals (GAPP)
INVITED JOURNAL REVIEWER
Diabetes Developmental Dynamics Antiviral Research
Molecular Biology Reports PPAR Research Immunology Letters
Brain Research Bulletin Development Mutation Research
Journal of Nutrition Schizophrenia Research Nucleic Acid Research
Penberthy, W. Todd and James B. Kirkland. Niacin (2020) in Present Knowledge in Nutrition. 11th edition, Elsevier, St. Louis, Mo. Edited by Diane Birt and Allison Worden.
Penberthy, W. Todd, Mahrou Sadri and Janos Zempleni. Biotin (2020) in Present Knowledge in Nutrition. 11th edition, Elsevier, St. Louis, Mo. Edited by Diane Birt and Allison Worden.
Penberthy, W. Todd. Niacin, Riboflavin, and Thiamine (2019) in Biochemical, Physiological, and Molecular Aspects of Human Nutrition. 4th edition, Elsevier, St. Louis, Mo. Edited by Marie A. Caudill and Martha H. Stipanuk.
Hu, L, K. Ibrahim, M. Stucki, M. Frapolli, N. Shahbeck, F. A. Chaudhry, B. Gorg, D. Haussinger, W. Todd Penberthy, T. Ben-Omran, and J. Haberle (2015). Secondary NAD+ Deficiency in the Inherited Defect of Glutamine Synthase. Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease. 38(6):1075-83.
W. Todd Penberthy & Robert Smith (2015). The Vitamin Cure for Arthritis. A book for laypersons about nutritional approaches to treating arthritis. p1-237.
Penberthy, W. Todd and James B. Kirkland. Niacin (2012) in Present Knowledge in Nutrition. 10th edition, Elsevier, St. Louis, Mo. Edited by Diane Birt.
Penberthy, W. Todd. Niacin, Riboflavin, and Thiamine (2012) in Biochemical, Physiological, and Molecular Aspects of Human Nutrition. 3th edition, Elsevier, St. Louis, Mo. Edited by John W. Erdman and Ian Macdonald.
Penberthy, W. Todd, Soumya C. Chari, Amy Cole, Alexander Cole (2010). Retrocyclins and Activity against HIV-1. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 68(13): 2231-2242.
Babak Baban, W. Todd Penberthy & Mahmood S. Mozaffari (2010). The Potential Role of Indoleamine 2,3 Dioxygenase (IDO) as a Predictive and Therapeutic Target for Diabetes Treatment: a Mythical Truth; EPMA Journal 1:46–55.
Penberthy, W. Todd (2009). Nicotinic Acid-Mediated Activation of Both Membrane and Nuclear Receptors Towards Therapeutic Glucocorticoid Mimetics for Potential Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis; PPAR Research 853707-.
Penberthy, W. Todd (guest executive editor) Current Pharmaceutical Design, published 2009. Developed theme, coordinated authors / reviewers, and provided oversight to completion. Theme: NAD Biology in Disease.
Penberthy, W. Todd & Tsunoda, I. (2009). The Importance of NAD in Multiple Sclerosis. Current Pharmaceutical Design. 2009; 15(1): 64-99.
Penberthy, W. Todd (2009). Nicotinamide Biology and Disease. Current Pharmaceutical Design; 15 (1) 1-2.
Kevin S Jones, Alexander P Alimov, Horacio L Rilo, Ronald P Jandacek, Laura A Woollett, and W. Todd Penberthy (2008). A High Throughput Live Transparent Animal Bioassay to Identify Non-toxic Small Molecules or Genes that Regulate Vertebrate Fat Metabolism for Obesity Drug Development. Nutrition and Metabolism. 5:23.
Penberthy, W. Todd. (2007). Pharmacologic Targeting of IDO-mediated Tolerance for Treating Autoimmune Disease. Current Drug Metabolism. 8: 245-266.
Traver, David, Barry H. Paw, Kenneth D. Poss, W. Todd Penberthy, Shuo Lin, and Leonard I. Zon (2003). Transplantation and in vivo Imaging of Multi-lineage Engraftment in Zebrafish Bloodless Mutants. Nature Immunology. 4:1238-1246.
Penberthy, W. Todd, Ebrahim Shafizadeh, and Shuo Lin (2002). The Zebrafish as a Model for Human Disease. Frontiers in Biosciences 7, D1439-53.
PRESENTATIONS & MEETINGS
- Invited presentation to the Mayo Clinic, May 2009, “NAD-Centric Pharmacologic Approaches & Obesity/COPD Animal Modeling Using Zebrafish”
- Invited presentation and Travel Award to The 4th Annual Metabolic Diseases World Summit, Boston, MA 2008: “A high throughput live transparent animal bioassay to identify non-toxic small molecules or genes that regulate vertebrate fat metabolism for obesity drug development”
- Invited panelist for discussion of PARP-1 inhibitors for use in melanoma, ovarian cancer, and glioma; Panel Intelligence, LLC
- Invited speaker at Case Western TREC Retreat 2008, “NAD Pharmacotherapeutics: Zebrafish-based Small Molecule Studies of Lipid Metabolism with Implications for Cancer and Multiple Sclerosis”
- Invited presentation and Travel Award to PARP 2008, Tucson, Arizona
- Invited speaker at the Department of Human Nutrition at Ohio State University: “The Zebrafish Genetic Model Organism for Studying Nutrient Function,” Oct. 2007, Columbus, Ohio
- Third Annual Ohio Valley Affiliates for Life Sciences, March 7-8, 2007
- Jones, Kevin S., W. Todd Penberthy. 2006. Poster: “NAD Precursors Prevent Chemically-Elicited Neurodegeneration in Zebrafish Larvae.” East Coast PARP Meeting 2006, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.
- 7th International Conference on Zebrafish Development and Genetics, June 14-16, 2006, Madison, Wisconsin
- Lin, Shuo and W. Todd Penberthy. 2005. Poster: “Whole-animal Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Using Zebrafish Embryos”. Strategic Conference of Zebrafish Investigators. Principle investigators only and by invitation, Bar Harbor, Maine
- W. Todd Penberthy, Jason R. Jessen, Zhongan Yang, & Shuo Lin. 2002. Oral Presentation: “A Role for BarHl1 in the Regulation of GATA-2 Neural Expression”. The 6th International Conference on Zebrafish Development and Genetics, Madison, Wisconsin
GRANTS & HONORS
2010 Research funded by Gates Award: Reawakening Retrocyclin as a Potential AIDS Therapeutic
2009 Invited speaker to the Mayo Clinic Department of Anesthesiology hosted by Dr. Eduardo Nunes Chini
2009 Grant reviewer for the National Science Foundation
2008 Invited speaker for the 4th Annual Metabolic Diseases World Summit, Boston, MA.
2008 Invited participant Case Western University School of Medicine, Transdisciplinary Research on Energetics and Cancer (TREC)
2008 Invited Participant Discussion: PARP-1 Inhibitors for Glioma, Breast, & Ovarian Cancer
2005 R21. Secondhand Smoke and Cardiovascular Disease in Zebrafish, R21ES01817
2008 Executive Editor for 100+ page issue of Current Pharmaceutical Design entitled: Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide Biology and Disease
2008 Nominated Honorary Editorial Board of The Journal of International Tryptophan Research
2007 Nominated to Marquis Who’s Who in America
2004-7 Biomedical Research Technology Transfer Award BRTT. $120,000/yr
2004-7 Genome Science Millennium Fund
2000-3 F32, Individual National Research Service Award. Neuronal and Hematopoietic Gene Regulation of GATA-2. NIH F32HD401940.
1999-0 Departmental Post-doctoral Training Grant. Pathobiology of Digestive Diseases. NIH NIDDK DK07542
REFERENCES FURNISHED UPON REQUEST